Thursday

Surprised To Be Named Cricketer Of The Year - Chris Gayle

First of all I have to mention how pleasing it was to be named West Indies Cricketer of the Year for the first time. I have to give thanks to all of my teammates because it would not have been possible without them. I have to give thanks to all of the fans as well for all their support throughout 2006. I believe 2006 could have been a better year but I still have to give thanks for what I achieved. I was very surprised to win the award because there were other players who did well during 2006 including Daren Ganga, Ramnaresh Sarwan and Brian Lara who also scored Test hundreds.

I hope that 2007 brings more success in my cricketing career.

It was a very good ceremony put on by the West Indies Players Association. I think they have done a tremendous job and I believe that they have to keep up the good work and hopefully make things bigger and better for the players as well. Dinanath Ramnarine has been doing a good job, he has been working well on the whole situation for players and the rest of the members of WIPA have been working hard as well. They all deserve credit.

World Cup preparations have obviously started some time now and I have been doing light training, going to the gym and working on strengthening my body and getting in the fittest condition for the World Cup. I have also been spending a lot of time with my family and hopefully leading up to the World Cup we can get more intense preparation.

We are at home for this World Cup for the first time and obviously everyone is looking forward to the event. The World Cup is a big occasion as we all know and it is a big occasion not only for the players but for the entire Caribbean. We want to win, it would be nice for us to be the first team to host World Cup and win it.

It won’t be a walkover. It would be tough opposition from the other teams and playing at home will be more pressure but I am sure everyone will want to do well.

The team has been playing good one day cricket over the past year and we need to improve on that to do well and hopefully everybody will be fit for the World Cup.

Turning to Jamaica’s cricket in the regional tournaments I thought it was another bad year for Jamaica. We were not able to reach the final four in the KFC Cup or go on further in the Carib beer Series. It is something that we have to sort out quickly. We have the talent, there is no doubt about that but we are not producing the goods. It is something for Jamaica cricket to take into consideration.

Nevertheless there were a lot of positives coming out of the tournament. It was really good to see young Brenton Parchment emerging with back-to-back centuries against Trinidad and Tobago. Tamar Lambert also got his first first class hundred and Jermaine Lawson was tremendous with the ball picking up 29 wickets.

We now have to go back and sort ourselves out and make our team and our cricket better and come stronger next year. Also in the Jamaica cricket fraternity they need to look into to how the players have been treated and there must be a change in the system pertaining to the treatment of the players. Players feel as though they have been pressured by management and maybe they need to look at making the players more comfortable.

No comments: