Saturday

"Pollard Can Do It" - Denesh Ramdin

I was quite confident of being selected to the World Cup squad. In India I could have done better with the gloves and gone on to get bigger scores but I unfortunately got out. After I returned home I continued to work hard on my game and my fitness. My batting is coming along now and I am still working on my keeping to ensure it gets better everyday.

I got a start with the bat against Jamaica in the KFC Cup but I did not carry on. I am quite happy with how things are progressing for me now though and I am looking forward to improving and carrying on. I am looking forward to this World Cup especially since this is like a progression for me. This will be my first World Cup at the senior level. I have played in the Under 15 and Under 19 World Cups before but this is the biggest stage and it is special that it will be in the West Indies. It is tremendous that we will be playing at home in a World Cup for the first time.

On a personal note I am looking forward to doing well and putting my team in a winning position. I know it is important for all of us to always be supporting each other on the field and off the field as well. We are representing ourselves, the team but most importantly all the people of the Caribbean and we have to make them proud. We take that very seriously as a team.

Some people ask whether there is additional pressure on wicketkeepers these days to score runs in addition to keeping well. I am personally accustomed to it, it's just to go out there and be positive, read the game accordingly and not putting yourself under pressure.

I have to congratulate Simmo (Lendl Simmons) for being selected to the squad as well. Special congratulations also to Kieron Pollard for making the West Indies World Cup squad. This has been his first season of first class cricket and he came on strong. He has shown that he has the character and the ability to go out there and play his natural game. He does not put pressure on himself. He is still only 19 and to be selected to a World Cup squad is a great achievement for any young player in his first first class season, even after getting a couple of centuries under his belt.

I wish him all the best and hope that he can go on to do great things in the World Cup. He has the capability of going out there and doing it. He just has to be careful to chose the right balls to go at and concentrate on his game. At the international level the bowlers and more experienced and smarter than bowlers at our regional level. They will adapt to the situations faster and they will try to work out his strengths and bowl to his not-so-strong areas.

After returning from India Simmo, Rayad (Emrit) and I joined the Trinidad and Tobago team which was playing some tremendous cricket. The guys were a winning team and they were dominating. We played well to get into the final of the KFC Cup and we are looking forward to the final. We are very confident of winning, we know we have to play as a team, bowl well, bat in partnerships and back ourselves all the way.

In the Carib Beer Series when we returned, the team was in a position where we needed a couple of points to go through to the final. We were up against Jamaica and they needed to win outright to move ahead of us. They won first innings points but we bounced back even though they tried to intimidate us with fast bowling, bowling short to us.

We prevailed in the end and we are now looking forward to the final against Barbados in Trinidad. They had the better of us so far this year but we are not in our backyard and that will give us some advantage.

No comments: